Re: APT : Packages file to large to download everytime.

Viral <viral@debian.org> wrote:
> This has been brought up many times before. The APT packages file is just
> too large to download everytime during an apt-get update.

How about putting the package file in an SQL database like mysql or postgres,
it would be harder to mirror, but nobody would be downloading complete package
files so it would not be a problem. Include a `Last Updated' field in the
package table, and run:

 select * from packages where updated > $last

Where $last is the date + time of the last update.

With the data from the server and data already on the machine it would be
possible to build the package file.

Or the same might be possible using ldap, but I do not have much experience
with ldap.

Of course this would require a client of some kind on every Debian machine to
access this it.

--
Don't worry  --  shop.