Re: Two theses regarding packages

T.Pospisek's MailLists <tpo2@spin.ch> wrote:

> Exaggerated: the developper is forced to fix bugs but doesn't get
> anything in return (as oposed to the commercial world, where you get "at
> least" paid)

You're forgetting the other driving force behind open source: Ego. The
Debian maintainer who fixes bugs becomes known as a maintainer with good
packages. Even if the world at large doesn't bow down before him, or even if
his users don't know he exists, the maintainer can take some pride in the
work he does.

> [ ... ] but who does not have the
> required ressources afterwards to resolve major issues with it once it is
> in.

The Debian maintainer doesn't need to fix all bugs himself. Many bugs will
be forwarded upstream instead. This is a valid way to handle bugs that are
beyond the maintainer for whatever reason (lack of skills or knowledge, lack
of time, whatever).

> [ ... ] I'd not expect that there would be
> significantly more activity under a stronger "responsibility" perspective.

Even if the activity is just forwarding bugs upstream, I think it's good to
demand a certain level of service from Debian maintainers. The only way to
control quality is to assign responsibility clearly and make people
accountable for their responsibilities.

This goes back to the orphaned packages flamefest/debate from a week or two
ago: No maintainer means no responsibility, which means quality goes out the
window.

> So IMHO no one would really gain anything from that. That's in contrast to
> the "..own itch" perspective where the dogma of the "user" would be dissolved
> into a co-responsibility: you use it, so fix it and I'll make sure the
> fix gets distributed.

That's also an excellent way to handle bugs. The maintainer doesn't need to
be a programming guru, he just needs to be able to manage the package: bugs,
feature requests, patches, new upstream releases, the whole bit.

But asking for or accepting patches, forwarding bugs upstream, etc, are all
valid ways of handling bugs that *any* Debian maintainer should be able to
do. I think anyone who can't perform these basic tasks shouldn't be a Debian
maintainer.

I suppose now I'm going to have to run for cover to avoid the flames...
--
Sam Couter          |   Internet Engineer   |   http://www.topic.com.au/
sam@topic.com.au    |   tSA Consulting      |