Re: gpm, USB mouse, Linux 2.4.4

On Wed, May 23, 2001 at 08:54:30PM +1000, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> On Wed, May 23, 2001 at 12:29:11PM +0200, T.Pospisek's MailLists wrote:
> > Which is demonstrably *not* true - this approach does **not** work with my
> > logitech wheelmouse.
>
> Nor mine. I couldn't get the mouse working with both gpm and X at
> the same time, so I gave up on gpm. I rarely use the text consoles
> anyway these days.

I'm getting into this thread a bit late, but here's what I do for my
Thinkpad so that it works with both the trackpoint (internally PS/2) and
a USB mouse.

I use gpm to pick up both sources and repeat both as ms3.  Since the
standard gpm scripts in Debian don't handle multiple mice, I have just
replaced the cmdln variable in /etc/init.d/gpm with this:

cmdln="-m /dev/psaux -t ps2 -3 -Rms3 -M -m /dev/input/mice -t imps2 -3 -Rms3"

The mouse section in XF86Config-4 looks like this:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Generic Mouse"
        Driver          "mouse"
        Option          "CorePointer"
        Option          "Device"	"/dev/gpmdata"
        Option          "Protocol"	"IntelliMouse"
        Option		"Buttons"	"5"
	Option		"ZAxisMapping"	"4 5"
EndSection

Both trackpoint and USB mouse work at the same time and the wheel on the
mouse works.  The trick with gpm is to find some repeating protocol it
supports and that has all the features (esp. wheel), I found that ms3
(IntelliMouse) does the job just fine.

--
 Andreas E. Bombe <andreas.bombe@munich.netsurf.de>    DSA key 0x04880A44
http://home.pages.de/~andreas.bombe/    http://linux1394.sourceforge.net/