Re: Integration of debian/ scripts in packages

--- Sam Hartman <hartmans@debian.org> wrote: > >>>>>
"Michèl" == Michèl Alexandre Salim
> <salimma1@yahoo.co.uk> writes:
> And if you come up with a clean solution for the
> changelog issue, I
> agree this is worth doing.  If you do that, please
> let me know what
> your solution is.

As Richard Atterer said there should probably be
another set of debian scripts provided by the upstream
author (if possible) and maintained independently from
the Debian-maintained scripts.

Rather a neat idea. And certainly I have seen it
implemented - for Enlightenment 0.17 CVS for instance.
It is still the duty of the Debian maintainer to make
sure the Debian version of the scripts conform to
Debian specifications, but if something major changes
in the package the author(s) would know best what has
changes.

So it is a two-way process: if Debian policy changes
the maintainer informs the author, if the packaging
changes the author-maintained debian scripts will
still allow building of the package seamlessly while
the Debian maintainer work on integrating the changes.

There could probably be a naming scheme enforced, with
say package version x.y.z having an upstream deb at
version x.y.z.hack.n while the Debian version at
x.y.z.official.n - the names are just example, I
presume official will be seen by dpkg as being a
higher version than hack?

Just my penny's worth..

Regards,

Michel