Re: XML help needed for dict-revo

On Thu, 7 Jun 2001, Joshua Haberman wrote:

> $ apt-cache show sablotron
> [...]
>  Sablotron is an XSL processor fully implemented in C++.
>  .
>  The goal of this project is to create a reliable and
>  fast XSLT processor conforming to the W3C specification, which is
>  available for public and can be used as a base for multiplatform XML
>  data distribution systems.
>  .
>  This package includes Sablotron binaries, which need libsablot0
>  to work.
>
> I use Sablotron, and have had good experiences with it. It is fast,
> written in C++ (so you can avoid the Java mess), and has a Perl interface
> available (XML::Sablotron).

I've been doing stuff with DocBook and XSL recently so I've had an
opportunity to review the different processors available in Debian.

Sablotron only implements an older draft of the XSL spec and is missing
some key functionality, the biggest (imho) being support for xsl:import.
The same naturally applies to the XML::Sablotron perl module.

Another perl module XML::XSLT sucks even more than Sablotron.

xalan has some weird problem with base URIs.  (it appends the
current directory to import hrefs.)

xalan2 is java, ditto for xt and XSL:P.

If you care for python there's 4suite but I don't so I didn't try it.

The best XSL processor availble in Debian (again imho) is xsltproc (from
GNOME but not encrusted in dependencies)  it's fast, standards conformant,
and has C and C++ interfaces.  (And perl but it isn't packaged yet.)

packages mentioned in this message
----------------------------------

XML::Sablotron - libxml-sablotron-perl
XML::XSLT      - libxml-xslt-perl