Re: ITP: squeak-vm, squeak-image, squeak-sources -- A highly portable Smaltalk system

On Mon, Jun 04, 2001 at 01:52:08AM -0400, Wolfgang Sourdeau wrote:
> Put some people are definetely inclined to think that everyone on
> Earth should speak English. It is not a fantasm, I already have heard
> such stupidities.

Which is not too wrong, I think. In Europe, if two people with different
native languages meet, they probably both know English good enough to
communicate quite well. They don't need to be fluent, but some knowledge
of the English language is generally a good thing if you happen to meet
people from other countries.

Of course everybody should be allowed to have its own native language,
and everybody should learn the language of the country she is living
in.

But it's a plain fact that English is the best language to know when
communicating with people from foreign countries. (perhaps Spanish is
better in some parts of the world)

> For what the Loi 101 is concerned, it is a right. The right for the
> French Quebecers to have their papers in French. Canada is a bilingual
> country, not an English country.

It's ok if they demand to have their papers, their street signs or their
laws in French - it gets ridiculous when every website needs to be translated.

Jan