Re: testing is broken

On Fri, Apr 06, 2001 at 12:48:57PM +0200, Michael Moerz wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 05, 2001 at 11:54:32PM -0700, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> [snip]
> >
> > One interface would be:
> >
> > $ apt-get install foo
> > Package foo suggests also installing package bar; install it too
> > (y/N)?
> >
> > Pretty simple and functional.

[problems resolving conflicts]

> Several other ways might be there to avoid this like:
> Never ask when conflicts arise, Just ask one question similar to the one
> above (this sollution I would prefer)

How about no questions at all?  Par example:

Package foo suggests the following additional packages:
	foo-nonfree bar baz
You may install these later by re-running apt-get, or, for more advanced
package management, a tool such as dselect(1).
Installing packages...

at which point apt would install foo, as you had requested.  People
who want everything in one run can ctrl-C during the download and
adjust their package list on the command line.  People who don't care
will have already left the room and the message will have scrolled off
when they come back.

I seem to remember filing a wishlist bug along these lines a couple
years ago.  I was told to learn dselect :/

Rob

--
The two most common things in the Universe are hydrogen and stupidity.
		-- Harlan Ellison