Re: Preparing 2.2r3

Gopal Narayanan wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 01, 2001 at 12:45:48PM +0200, Martin Schulze wrote:
> >
> > setiathome  stable    3.0-3       m68k, powerpc
> > setiathome  stable    3.0-5       arm
> > setiathome  stable    3.0-7       alpha, i386, sparc
> > setiathome  updates   3.0-8       powerpc
> > setiathome  updates   3.03-2      alpha, i386
> >
> > 	1st I'm not convinced why a new version should go into stable.
> >
> > 	Gregg Berkholtz says: The following text is from the main
> > 	SETI@Home page (http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu): "...
> > 	SETI@home version 3.03 is available and mandatory for all
> > 	supported platforms. Earlier versions are unable to contact
> > 	our server, so please upgrade to version 3.03..."  Also, in
> > 	potato, the install fails due to the fact that it tries to
> > 	fetch a now non-existent .tgz file.
> >
> > 	2nd Versions are totally out of sync.  Fix that please.
> >
> > 	If architectures are synced I'll be convinced.
> >
> > 	Maintainer: Gopal Narayanan <gopal@debian.org>
>
> I already wrote to AJ about this. 3.03-2 is the latest in
> proposed-updates and that is the only one that need be considered. The
> version in stable is completely broken, as pointed above, since the
> tar.gz file for the 3.0 binary at the setiathome site is deprecated.
> In this sense, it meets a principal criterion of yours, viz., point 3,
> the version in stable is completely broken (in this case due to an
> upstream change).

I have made a clearer statement now.

> As for syncing the various archs, the only architectures for which the
> setiathome 3.03 client binary is currently available are i386, alpha,
> and powerpc. sparc should be out soon. So for setiathome, it is not

So we're going to wait for sparc.

> possible to sync all archs. I think an exception has to be made. I

Then a different solution has to be found like removing some packages
from potato.

You say: a) old version are unable to connect - thus don't work
         b) not all versions are available

This leaves arm and m68k (and potentially sparc) dysfunctional.

In that case non-working versions should be removed, no?

> will try to find a powerpc machine to build 3.03-2 and upload soon.
> This is a popular package in the contrib section, and I get many
> reports of people running stable and having the install break.

That's all nice and dandy, but please also accept my strong
believe that versions should be in sync.

Regards,

	Joey

--
The MS-DOS filesystem is nice for removable media.  -- H. Peter Anvin