Re: Packages still using /usr/doc in unstable

> No! It is the responsibility of the person doing the NMU to contact the
> maintainer. The maintainer is responsible for closing bugs when they are
> fixed.

Dale, it is the responsibility of every developer to interact with the BTS.  It
is the ONLY way the average person has to know what the status of a bug is.

I work with a sysadmin who submits quite a few bugs.  Every now and then he
comes by and asks me about them because the maintainer never bothered to mail
him, or did 8 months ago promising a fix 'any day now'.  This is not how we
should treat our users.  Developers are just another class of users in my book.

So every now and then, read your bugs, tag them 'cantfix' or 'needinfo'.  Mail
the bug and add info about the upstream not having any ideas how to fix this.
Every shred of info a developer adds to a bug makes it easier for someone else
to help fix it or decide it is a lost cause.

I am not saying someone doing a NMU should not mail the maint.  I consider that
quite rude.  However, waiting a week for a response is just not worthwhile.  It
is often better to ask forgiveness than permission is the quote.  A developer
who does not want his packages touched should do everything he can to let
people know there is no need for a NMU.  Otherwise Debian is acting in its own
best interest by removing bugs.

Sometimes, we have to let our own emotions and attachments to packages go for
the better good of Debian as a whole.