Re: Tin 1.5.8 .debs available

ametzler@downhill.at.eu.org (Andreas Metzler) writes:
> I had seen people geting bitten by bugs of earlier 1.5.*-betas,
> so I took a conservative approach. But if you think it is extremely
> stable I am going to test it soon.

I've been using it for a while, and haven't seen any serious bugs.  But
I'm not a very demanding user of tin, so I may not be the best test case.
However, you may want to hold off for a bit-- I got email from the
maintainer, who said that he's busy preparing updated .debs for upload
soon.

> I think debian should ship the latest stable version in the next
> release, if it were foreseeable that tin 1.5 was going to be released
> before woody, debian should switch to 1.5 soon, but iandd.

tin is developed under a fairly standard Open-Source fashion:
odd-suffixed releases (1.5) are unstable, even-numbered ones (1.4) are
stable.  So a 1.5 will always be 'beta'; it's a matter of taste (and
stability of upstream source) how confident you feel in the beta.

> Thank's, imho it be the simplest if you posted to debian-devel,
> probably I am not the only one who'd interested.

I did hack some 1.4.4 .debs, but after hearing from the maintainer (and
frankly, not wishing to proliferate more non-free software), I'm not
going to put them up.  If you want a copy, however, email me privately,
and I'll send it to you.

-=Eric
--
Bell Labs Unix -- Reach out and grep someone.