Re: debian/changelog and add-log-mailing-address

Herbert Xu <herbert@gondor.apana.org.au> wrote:

> Not all packages have them.  Perhaps we should all start removing
> those entries in the interest of equal opportunities :)

Considering that:

 1- `mode: debian-changelog` is not needed anymore because
    dpkg-dev-el properly sets up the auto-mode-alist.

 2- `add-log-mailing-address: "SOME.EMAIL.ADDRESS"` is now
    ignored by debian-changelog-mode anyway because it was a
    nuisance for NMUs and there's now a customize interface to
    set it.

I propose to add a snippet of code to debian-changelog-mode (that
one can turn off via customize) to remove the "Local variables:"
block if the add-log-mailing-address matches the user's email
(this would make it stay clear of other people's changelog files
when you happen to edit them).

On my system, I have 271 changelog.Debian.gz files that set
add-log-mailing-address this way, and 587 files that set
`mode: debian-changelog` this way.  Perhaps the code should also
offer to trim out those with only `mode: debian-changelog` if the
file is not read-only (to catch the other half)?

This would help trim down those entries over time.

Peter