Why GNU/Linux? Why Debian GNU/Linux?

On Wed, Mar 07, 2001 at 08:38:01AM -0500, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
> No, the name Debian GNU/Linux implies, IMO, exactly what it is
> supposed to - that we are "Debian GNU", and Linux is one of the
> options.

I'm usually not one for quoting RMS[1], but in this case, I find it
appropriate.  From the GNU website page on Linux and it's relationship
with GNU[2]:

    Fortunately, you don't have to wait for [Hurd], because Linux is
    working now. When Linus Torvalds wrote Linux, he filled the last
    major gap.  People could then put Linux together with the GNU
    system to make a complete free system: a Linux-based GNU system
    (or GNU/Linux system, for short).

and further on down the page:

    The GNU Project supports GNU/Linux systems as well as the GNU
    system--even with funds. We funded the rewriting of the
    Linux-related extensions to the GNU C library, so that now they
    are well integrated, and the newest GNU/Linux systems use the
    current library release with no changes. We also funded an early
    stage of the development of Debian GNU/Linux.

So, GNU/Linux refers to a GNU system with a Linux kernel.  Debian
GNU/Linux refers to the Debian distribution of a GNU system that uses
Linux as its kernel.  The HURD project would be correctly referred to
as _either_ Debian GNU/Hurd or simply Debian Hurd, as Hurd implies the
official GNU kernel built on the GNU system.

Apply this to OpenBSD or (insert your favorite kernel), you would most
likely find the name would appropriately be Debian GNU/<kernel>, as
Debian itself largely depends upon the GNU userspace to operate.

If there is a successful port of non-GNU usertools to the Debian
distribution project -- making the need for GNU tools unnecessary to
build or install 'base', then we could assume that the name for that
kernel-specific distribution may be called something non-GNU.  If the
OpenBSD port successfully packages and uses non-GNU tools for 'base',
then calling it Debian OpenBSD would be appropriate.

As the Linux kernel will continue to rely on GNU tools, we would not
have to worry about Debian GNU/Linux becoming Debian Linux.  Anyway,
time to get back to normal userspace...