Re: XEmacs and LDAP

Quoting James LewisMoss <jimdres@mindspring.com>:

> The xemacs (not gtk variants) depend on libldap2, installed size 484.
> I don't really think that's too onerous when you consider you've
> already installed:
> xemacs21-nomule       4563
> xemacs21-bin           434
> xemacs21-support      8508
> xemacs21-basesupport 38117
>                      -----
>                      51622

I'm using LDAP and are very happy with it. BUT, there are times when I
want system that's as slim as I possibly can. Discussing 484kb for a
libldap2 package is moot. We have a saying here in sweden that translates
to (literaly)

        Many stream make a large river

meaning that it's all those very small packages that make the system
huge, not the big ones (roughly any way :)

Even though I like LDAP, and want to see more LDAP enabled software,
I much more like the previous suggestion. Make the user compile the
packages them selfs (OR, preferably, make a special '-ldap' package).

--
 Turbo     __ _     Debian GNU     Unix _IS_ user friendly - it's just
 ^^^^^    / /(_)_ __  _   ___  __  selective about who its friends are

security tritium munitions BATF genetic nitrate 747 Ft. Meade Saddam
Hussein Rule Psix strategic South Africa spy radar congress