dead keyboard in kdm (kde 2.1)

I tried replacing my xdm setup with kdm. Kdm starts up fine and
everything looks good except that I cant type anything to log in.
The whole keyboard is dead. I can't switch to console with
Ctrl-Alt-F1 and even Ctrl-Alt-Backspace doesn't work. Only
selecting "shutdown -> to console" bringt me back to the console.
Did someone experience similar problem? What can I do to get my
Keyboard working in kdm?

Cheers
Martin
--
MESKIMEN'S LAW
    There's never time to do it right, but always time to do it over.