Re: debconf 'registry'?

Aubin Paul <aubin@punknews.org> wrote:
>I was browsing through the debconf data on my machine, and I noticed
>that the debconf.db file would lend itself quite easily to a
>tree-based 'registry' of sorts.
>
>Has this been attempted? Or is there any desire for something like
>that?

[cjw44@riva ~]$ echo 'W: foo: debconf-is-not-a-registry' | lintian-info
W: foo: debconf-is-not-a-registry
N:
N:   In the Unix tradition, Debian packages should have human-readable and
N:   human-editable configuration files. This package uses debconf commands
N:   outside its maintainer scripts, which often indicates that it is
N:   taking configuration information directly from the debconf database.
N:   Typically, packages should use debconf-supplied information to
N:   generate configuration files, and - to avoid losing configuration
N:   information on upgrades - should parse these configuration files in
N:   the `config' script if it is necessary to ask the user for changes.
N:
N:   Some standalone programs may legitimately use debconf to prompt the
N:   user for questions. If you maintain a package containing such a
N:   program, please contact lintian-maint@debian.org to request a Lintian
N:   override. Other exceptions to this check include configuration scripts
N:   called from the package's post-installation script.
N: