Re: Perl essential ?

On Fri, Mar 02, 2001 at 08:22:25PM +1100, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> Well, better watch out because it seems python will become essential
> soon too.

It had better not.

> And so is bash, better remove it.

I agree. What we need are virtual essensial packages, so people are
not forced into a particular shell being installed. Any that implement
POSIX sh should be fine.

I think shells are OK becuase they are interactive and quite neccesary
to use the system effectively. If the shell was only a script
interpreter, I would probably frown on its inclusion in the base
system.