bash essential (was: Perl essential ?)

On Fri, 2 Mar 2001 20:22:25 +1100, Hamish Moffatt <hamish@debian.org>
wrote:
>And so is bash, better remove it.

I think this is already in the works by requiring /bin/sh to be a
"only" POSIX compliant shell. I was quite astonished when lintian told
me yesterday that I shouldn't have Depends: bash because bash is still
essential.

btw, I don't think that having lintian barf on packages that
explicitly depend on essential packages is a good idea. That a package
is essential today does not mean that it is essential tomorrow. I
would consider allowing explicit Depends: on essential packages a good
idea. These Depends: do no harm at the moment, and will prevent bugs
tomorrow.

Greetings
Marc