Re: Kernel 2.4: devfs: bugs

On Tuesday 06 February 2001 10:38, Erik wrote:
> Depreciated is probably the wrong word, i beleive he just means that it
> supports both ways of doing things.  I know devfs can be backward
> compatable, but having 400 or so symlinks in /dev ruins the idea of having
> a nice clean /dev to work with.

Having 400 symlinks (if you choose to enable sym-links for every device) is
still greatly preferrable to having >2000 device nodes most of which don't
work.  Also with having lots of unused device nodes you have issues of
permissions etc, it's easy to forget to give unused devices the right
permissions and then you install the driver...