Re: printtool in Debian

Quoting Erik Steffl (steffl@bigfoot.com):
> Michael Neuffer wrote:
> >
> > Quoting calvin@users.sourceforge.net (calvin@users.sourceforge.net):
> > > Hi,

> > > I am using cups now, and its web interface is really nice. No problems
> > > so far. It also has a Qt interface (kups). It has a GTK interface (gtklp).
> > >
> > > No magicfilter needed any more :)
> >
> > CUPS is very nice indeed, however it lacks on two issues:
> >
> > 1. Most printer drivers are in the commercial part of the package
>
>   there are some other drivers for cups, see gimp-print, even though I
> wasn't able to make it work with cups:-)

Q.E.D.

> the driver for epson stylus
> color 740 included with gimp-print is fairly good though (tried it with
> gimp)

gimp-print is neither available in Debian and even less it is
integrated into the Debian-Printing-Environment(tm)

There is no driver availabe for mine (a HP930C).

> > 2. It lacks a "printer chooser" graphical frontent. The normal
> >    user (imagine your mother setting up a new printer for it)
> >    doesn't want to be bothered with the tasks currently needed
> >    to set up a new printer. We would need the printer definitions
> >    package from linuxprinting.org for example.
>
>   you can set-up new printer using web interface, it's quite simple, you
> just pick from menus... or do you mean something else?

Yes, the backend for that is missing. Look at how easy it is
under Windows. Thas must be our goal.

> and btw my mom
> used to be a programmer (now she's manager:-)

Lucky you, many moons ago mine used to sell computers
and she was good at her job, but that doesn't mean that
she can do more with them then a simple Windows (l)user.

Mike