Re: RFC: Idea of Debian Font Manager

Hello,

Thanks for lots of comments :)

At Tue, 6 Feb 2001 10:00:30 +0100,
Federico Di Gregorio wrote:

> i did the same work with dtm (the package is still someplace in debian)
> but i stopped development (lack of time.) anyway, it is a nice idea,
> good luck.

At Tue, 6 Feb 2001 12:29:13 -0200,
Henrique M Holschuh wrote:

> Looks like a good idea to me. I've seen some efforts to do that (both in
> Debian and outside Debian), but no one managed to really pull it off yet.

I'm really encouraged to have those positive, agreeing comments :)

> I suggest you show us working code that does the job for Xfree86 4.x, LaTeX
> and gs. You could repackage one western and one eastern font already in
> debian using your system and put it somewhere for download, so that we could
> test it and compare to the current method :)

I've just built packages which configure for X and GhostScript. X package
handles Type1, TrueType and CID fonts and creates .scale files under the
/etc/X11/fonts/ directory. Not to confclit with current installed packages,
files goes in Type1T and TrueTypeT directory.
GhostScript package handles Type1/3, TrueType and CID fonts.
These are add-on packages.

Font packages begin ready for test are: ttf-arphic-gkai00mp,
ttf-arphic-bkai00mp, gsfonts, gsfonts-other, xfonts-greek-ph-scalable.
You could see that these fonts are appropriately configured for X and GS,
without installing a xfonts- package or editting Fontmap.

Test package for a desktop application is ready too. I've built tgif package
which automatically generates Tgif resource file(s) in /etc/X11/app-defaults
(and some locale-specific directories), which enables all PostScript fonts
appear in its font-selecting menu. CJK Kanji fonts are also automatically
generated.

All of these test packages are placed at:
  deb http://arashi.debian.or.jp/~take/defoma ./
Please have a look there.

defoma is the package of Font Manager.
defoma-ps provides a program to register fonts installed in PS Printer.
defoma-gs is for GhostScript.
defoma-x is for X.

BTW, the product of gs-cjk (GhostScript with CJK TrueType font extention)
is also put there, with some CMap packages needed to handle CJK TrueType
fonts and CID fonts.

The current one *BIG* problem of Font Manager is that it is too slow for
actual use. 500MHz Pentium or higher CPU is strongly recommended.
I guess this is caused by calling configuration scripts and programs of
Font Manager again and again for child (or grandchild, or grand-grandchild
...) processes, which then causes a lot of file accessing.
I belieave this problem would be sloved when i rewrite all codes in perl
and unify all of the codes into one program, rewrite configuration
scripts in perl library style, and make all the Font Management process
in single task, on memory.

Regards,

--
Yasuhiro Take aka hirot / <take@debian.org>