Re: assimilating OpenBSD

On Wed, Feb 07, 2001 at 06:51:06AM +0200, Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho wrote:
> On 20010206T142640-0600, David Starner wrote:
> > This
> > looks to be closer to a BSD with dpkg and apt, which may be a good idea,
> > but not within Debian.
>
> Why not?  It would not be Debian GNU, but are we going to restrict
> ourselves to GNU systems only?

Debian is a project to create an operating system. Including the Hurd
streaches that a little, but since the Hurd runs the same libc and
the same userland, it's feasible to do without most non-Hurd users
and developers worrying about like. It can and has been considered
little different from a new architecture.

A BSD userland would mean that every package would have to be audited
for GNUisms. Take the number of Bashisms found, and the fuss over the
tar bzip option, and think about doing that for almost everything in
standard. It's a lot of work for a lot of maintainers who may not care
in the least about the Debian BSD project.

The Debian project is here to make an operating system. People are
always welcome to base their projects on Debian, and for something
like this Software in the Public Intrest ought to be willing to
help. But the extra work it adds to Debian means it shouldn't be
done here.

--
David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org
"I don't care if Bill personally has my name and reads my email and