Re: assimilating OpenBSD

On Tue, 6 Feb 2001, Ethan Benson wrote:

> "Portmap is not insecure"  -- said here many times before.

regardless of how secure a daemon is, if people aren't using it then it
shouldn't be started. how many people install linux on their desktop and
then start using NFS? many on this list possibly do, but how about joe
average?

as someone who installs bare bones and adds only packages i really need it
never ceases to amaze me the amount of rubbish people deem important
enough to install as part of the base system (this is mainly a dig at
redhat who insist things like sendmail exist even when nothing is
selected - debian is better behaved).

> mountd/nfsd are not started unless there is an export in
> /etc/exports.

now there's a good idea,

> rpc.statd/lockd are indeed started though regardless of the status of
> nfs exports/mounts.

strange same doesn't apply here.

 - samj