Re: RFC: Central version control for Debian

Quoting John Galt (galt@inconnu.isu.edu):
> On Fri, 2 Feb 2001, Julian Gilbey wrote:
>
> >On Thu, Feb 01, 2001 at 02:35:15PM -0700, John Galt wrote:
> >>
> >> Would asking for apt-get upgrade-source functionality be a Good Thing in
> >> this case?  Perhaps make it either rsync or CVS, depending on what's in
> >> /etc/alternatives.  I know I'd like the idea as a user.
> >
> >Possibly.  But that might put more load on the CVS server than
> >desired.
>
> Now we have other problems.  Overload of the CVS servers is not a valid
> excuse in this case.  In fact, if the loading problems are such that
> even one Debian user that wants to checkout the CVS tree cannot, this
> proposal must die now.  This is contrary to the spirit of the GPL if not
> the wording.  If everybody cannot get the same access to the source, every
> reference to "open source" becomes a pathetic joke.  Debian will NOT
> play Orwellian games with access to source while I have breath in my body
> to oppose it: if one gets it, all will, and nobody will be "more equal
> than others".  I'd hope that others feel this way, but I have no qualms
> about fighting the entire Debian organization alone if necessary on this
> issue.

I simply fail to see the problems that you two are seeing.
This is simply a question of setting up enough CVS servers.

The *BSDs have shown us how to do it properly.
The tools for it are established and have been for years
succesfully in production. We just have to use them as well.

Mike