Re: Maintainer qualification

On Thu, Feb 01, 2001 at 03:35:53PM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

> 	Have we accepted that mediocrity is really our lot? What
>  happened to the quest for excellence? I joined an effort to create
>  the *BEST* distribution of linux, not merely a feel good, prolific
>  one.

How about accepting mediocrity to start with and striving for excellence
while learning, over time. You don't really need to know much to package
a small game correctly. Wouldn't it be silly to burn highly skilled peoples
time on easy tasks, or throw away a useful contribution regardless of where
it comes?

I have seen excellent packaging from not so "skilled" developers, and bad
packaging from skilled developers. I have seen a general improvement of
Debian as a whole. To be honest, I am not even sure what all the fuss is
about. We are doing nice integrating the work of mediocrity without loosing
the over-all quality.

Marcus

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de