Re: Daemontools

Hi,

> On the other hand, assuming daemontools isn't installed by default then
> perhaps we *don't* need corresponding init scripts

What do you mean with "installed by default"? An essential package? Or do you
mean, that i.E. dnscache depends on daemontools by default and is no
standalone package?

I still can't see the point with that consistency. Daemontools is not
intended to be "compatible" to the init.d-Mechanism, so I don't understand
why we have to "make" it compatible. As I said, if someone is switching to
daemontools (as someting like an init.d-Replacement) he knows daemontools and
he knows that daemontools services are controlled by svc and not by init
scripts.

Just to be sure: For what services do you want to make compatibility init
scripts? Only for services originally controlled by init.d-scripts (apache,
proftpd) or also services running under daemontools by nature (dnscache)?

I agree, that init-scripts for services like apache and proftpd are useful.
Maybe there are scripts somewhere calling "/etc/init.d/apache restart" or
something like this and this must still work after switching the service to
daemontools.

--
Bye