Re: Problems with using debconf in init script...

On Tue, Jan 30, 2001 at 02:24:38PM -0800, Philippe Troin wrote:

> > > This means that the info is stored twice:
> > >
> > >  - in the "config file".
> > >
> > >  - in the debconf database.
> >
> > no. The information is store only in the configuration file. The
> > programm, the init.d-script ... show only on this file, not in
> > debconf.
>
> No, it is stored in two places, debconf and the "config" file.

same data are store on two places, but
	- debconf-data is/was only a 'default' data on installtion
	  time
	- the values in the configuration file are the real valid data
	  for the configuration!

>   Meta: I hate to call these "config" files, since these "config"
>   files cannot be "conffiles". They cannot be conffiles because they
>   are changed *automatically* during the configuration process.

this is no problem, see bellow

> I agree that the rest of the system should only look into the "config"
> file, but we still have duplicate information.

if you agree and all programs, scripts etc. use te configuration file,
there is no duplicated information.

> > > What should happen if the "config file" is changed outside of debconf
> > > and then a change is made with debconf ?
> >
> > See policy '4.7.3. Behavior' :
> >
> >      Configuration file handling must conform to the following behavior:
> >
> >         * local changes must be preserved during a package upgrade
> >
> >         * configuration files should be preserved when the package is
> >           removed, and only deleted when the package is purged.
>
> Again, this debconf generated file cannot be a conffile, so this
> section does not apply.
>
> However I agree that manual changes to the "config" file should be kept.

yes and no.
see the policy:
     The distinction between these two is important; they are not
     interchangeable concepts.  Almost all `conffiles' are configuration
     files, but many configuration files are not `conffiles'.

(i use the words 'config file' = 'configuration file')

This files can't be conffile, but this files are Configuration file
and the upper section does apply!

> > don't update the configuration file on a update, only on user request
> > (dpkg-reconfigure or after a purge)
>
> Then again, manual changes might be lost.

I don't see a problem:
	on purge:
		all Configuration files and the debconf values are removed
        on dpkg-reconfigure:
		this is a user (admin) request to rewrite the
		configuration files. It is like runing exim-config,
		apacheconfig, magicfilter-config, webmin, ... This
		config programs all overwrite the files and manual
		changes might be lost.

Gruss
Grisu
"Before you play two notes learn how to play one note - and don't play
 one note unless you've got a reason to play it." - Mark Hollis