Re: OpenSSH in sid and nproc limit - 33 processes needed to work??

Quoting Marek Habersack <grendel@vip.net.pl>:
> Hello *,
>
>   Since two days ago (I don't recall whether there was openssh upgrade back
> then) I started getting "fork failed - resource temporarily unavailable"
> when people were trying to log into a sid machine. The nproc limit was set
> to 30 (soft) and 50 (hard) for ages in /etc/security/limits.conf and it
> worked with no problems at all. It turned out, after experimenting, that
> something (I suppose OpenSSH's sshd, since those people use different
> shells) needs at least 33 processes to let the user in (note that most users
> have at most 3 processes - screen, shell and some kind of irc). Has anyone
> experienced the behavior as well?

Sounds like SSH is configured to use the entropy-gathering code it
has built-in to it. Try running sshd in debug mode and see whether
it says it's doing that sort of thing.

Cheerio,

Andrew Stribblehill
Systems programmer, IT Service, University of Durham, England