Re: Install and RAID

On Mon, Jan 22, 2001 at 10:27:11PM -0800, Stephen Zander wrote:
>     Adam> This is a ridiculous discussion, IMHO.  Anyone who is
>     Adam> serious about protecting their data buys a hardware RAID
>     Adam> controller.  Software RAID is a hack, reserved for those few
>     Adam> situations where someone wants to have raid but is unwilling
>     Adam> to shell out the few hundred dollars for a decent controller
>
> Anyone who is serious about protecting there data and maiximising
> their availability uses multiple, disparate paths to seperate I/O
> sub-systems.  That way failure of any one component does not result in
> a long-term[1] outage while you wait around for someone to find and
> replace the necessary path.
>
> The only solution to this problem is software RAID1 or dual-ported
> disk and an HA cluster.

There are several solutions to this problem, the least desirable of which
involves software RAID.  Also, considering the fact that you are speaking of
a situation that probably involves less than 0.01% of all systems out there,
I don't really see how it applies to my argument that Debian shouldn't make
software RAID the default.

--Adam

--
Adam McKenna  <adam@debian.org>  <adam@flounder.net>