Re: menu: apropriate section for DockApps; list of menu hints in use?

Marcelo E. Magallon schrieb:
> >> Arthur Korn <arthur@korn.ch> writes:

>  > You're right in general though. A "WMDock" menu hint would
>  > probably make sense.

I used "Dockapp", a glimpse on a apt-cache search dock shows
only WindowMaker stuff, so this seems to be OK.

>  Sounds ok, but what should I do with it?

<HowTo>

Well, in your dockapp packages add them to your menu file, for
WMnd it is:

hints="Dockapp,Monitoring,Network"

You can add more hints, for a list of hints used by installed
packages do
grep hints= /usr/lib/menu/*|sed 's/.*hints="*\([a-zA-Z,]*\).*/\1/'|tr , "\n"|sort|uniq
there seems to be no "hints policy", just add what seems
reasonable to you.)

</HowTo>

They are used by menu to optimize the menu structure, the
effects are quite impressive, though most packages still don't
provide hints.

There will be a Debian kolumn about this on
http://www.symlink.ch soon (I've written it already), thus at
least german speaking users will begin to use menu hints soon. ;)

ciao, 2ri
--
Hardware, n.:
        The parts of a computer system that can be kicked.