Re: menu-policy: education

On Sat, Jan 13, 2001 at 07:12:18PM -0800, phil@bolthole.com wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 13, 2001 at 01:38:12PM -0400, Ben Armstrong wrote:
> > Then I suppose you could subscribe to debian-policy and fill them in on
> > the details of what we have discussed here on debian-devel, providing a
> > URL to the relevant threads in the debian-devel archives
> >...see
> >
> > The addition of an "education" section in the package archives is a
> > separate issue and should therefore be pursued separately from the
> > education menu section policy.
>
> okay.. so where should that be brought up?

The only mention of subsections in the Debian policy manual is section
2.1.7.  It does not dictate what the sections should be.  It simply says
that they exist and that you should check the current distribution to see
what sections are available.  However, sections don't actually exist in
the archives now that we have package pools, so now it seems subsections
should be a policy thing.

So ... that being the case, we need to step back from the education
section for a minute and make a proposal that there be a sub-policy for
sections much as there is a sub-policy for menu structure.  Once there is
such a policy, we can talk about adding the education section to that
sub-policy.

Anyway, I think it will be easier to argue for a "Section: archives" once
the education menu is populated with packages.  Until then, we can relax
a bit about the lack of a section policy. :)

Ben