Re: maybe ITP rsync mirror script for pools

On Wed, Jan 03, 2001 at 06:14:05PM -0500, Adam McKenna wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 03, 2001 at 11:57:07PM +0100, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> > Please don't encourage private mirrors!
>
> Debian itself encourages private mirrors.  Personally, I'd rather just
> download a new ISO every 3 months or so as new versions come out but the
> cdimage.debian.org pages steer people heavily toward mirroring and producing
> their own CD images with the debian-cd package.

I think you missed the point Marco d'Itri was talking about.
Downloading CD images is not different from keeping a private
mirror up to date. The private mirror even might save you some
bandwidth.

Also cdimage.debian.org suggests that you install from a public
mirror, if you have the bandwidth you'd also require to keep a
local mirror or download CD images.

Debian currently contains much more packages than anybody would
install. I doubt that even on "big" installations more than 50%
of all debian packages would be installed. Debian includes
additional tools (apt), that make accessing remote repositories
easier than finding packages by hand in a local mirror.

Thus a proxy would serve local machines much better than a local
mirror or CD images. For a single host I'd suggest running
"apt-get -d" overnight.

    Ingo
--
16                      Hard coded constant for amount of room allowed for
                        cache align and faster forwarding (tunable)

-- seen in /usr/src/linux-2.2.14/net/TUNABLE