Problem with start-stop-daemon and pidfile

Hi,

I want to use start-stop-daemon to start the debian-mirror script if
its not already running. I don't trust the script, so I run it as user
mirror:nogroup.

But then start-stop-daemon can't write a pidfile to /var/run.

Whats the right[tm] way for this?

root:~% start-stop-daemon -S -m -c mirror:nogroup -u mirror -p /var/run/debian-mirror.pid -x /usr/sbin/debian-mirror
start-stop-daemon: Unable to open pidfile `/var/run/debian-mirror.pid' for writing: Permission denied

May the Source be with you.
                        Goswin