Re: Huh, gcc 2.95.3?

Ben Collins wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 01, 2001 at 04:03:45PM +0100, Harald Dunkel wrote:
> > Happy new year to everyone!
> >
> > gcc 2.95.3 appeared in Sid, but it hasn't been announced by the
> > GCC steering committee yet. Is this some kind of early access
> > version?
>
> It's based on the CVS branch, which is noted in the changelog if you had
> bothered to read it.

To read the changelog I have to download and install it. But I don't
like to install unknown compilers on my development machines. Especially
since there is no undo operation for dpkg -i.

> There's no such thing as "early access", this is
> open source you know :)

My (personal) definition for 'Early Access Software' is that somebody
has grabbed a more or less stable version with the knowledge of the
maintainers before the official release date. I cannot see why
this definition shouldn't be applicable to GPL software.

Regards

Harri