/var/lib/dpkg/status file woes

I'm in a strange situation, something (the last program I installed was fligh
gear) caused my /var/lib/dpkg/status file to be deleted. Meaning
apt/dpkg/dselect is unable to determin what packages are installed. I managed to
manually write in the details of debconf and dpkg so that packages would
actaully install, but now the problem is that the system can't tell that I have
an up to date version of a package already present i.e. when I apt-get install
an X based app it thinks it also needs xf86, so downloads it, but when
installing it finds my already existing conf files, so promts me if I want to
overwrite.

Is there a easy solution to this -- or will I have to go round
downloading/installing packages I already have installed just to update the
/var/lib/dpkg/status file?

I'm running sid.

--
Thanks,