Re: WARNING: Jack Howarth is an agent of destruction

On Tue, Dec 25, 2001 at 10:18:37AM -0500, Jack Howarth wrote:
>      This is absurd.

You're right about that much.  As for everything else...

> One of the problems with this Debian policy violation is that
> it is not always reproducible as a bug on other folks machines.
> However feel free to ask on debian-powerpc and the will confirm
> that it is in fact wrong to use non-fPIC static libs in a shared
> lib on ppc and in fact any arch under Debian.
>      Branden seems to have gone off the deep end here. All I am
> trying to do is eliminate a serious policy violation in libsdl.

YOU ARE ON CRACK.  I DO DEVELOPMENT **DAILY** ON THE POWERPC AND IA64
ARCHITECTURES, BOTH OF WHICH DO NOT PERMIT THE LINKING OF STATIC OBJECTS
WITHOUT RELOCATION INFORMATION INTO SHARED LIBRARIES.  I SAW THIS BUG
MONTHS AGO, AND SO DID MANY OTHER DEBIAN DEVELOPERS.  WE ARE NOT BABES
IN THE WOODS.  I RESENT YOUR IMPLICATION THAT WE DON'T KNOW WHAT'S GOING
ON JUST AS I RESENT -- ALONG WITH MANY OTHERS -- THE MASSIVE SPAM ATTACK
YOU LAUNCHED SEVERAL WEEKS AGO TRYING TO GET EVERYONE TO PUT "-z
combreloc" INTO ALL OF THEIR BINARIES WHILE WE WERE (AND ARE) IN A
FREEZE.

PULL YOUR HEAD OUT OF YOUR ASS AND REALIZE THAT THE DEBIAN PROJECT
EXISTED LONG BEFORE YOU BECAME COGNIZANT OF IT.  MORE TO THE POINT, READ
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2001/debian-devel-200110/msg00353.html
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2001/debian-devel-200111/msg00028.html
AND GET IT THROUGH YOUR THICK SKULL THAT EVERY SINGLE GOD DAMN ONE OF
THE POINTS YOU ARE RAISING HAS ALREADY BEEN ADDRESSED.

>     Again, I'm just reporting a real bug in these packages
> that impacts Debian ppc sid (and probably other arches).
> Don't flame me just because you don't want to hear a real
> problem.

http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2001/debian-devel-200110/msg00353.html
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2001/debian-devel-200111/msg00028.html

AGAIN, THE PROBLEM WAS WELL-KNOWN LONG BEFORE YOU PRANCED IN HERE WITH
YOUR BAD ATTITUDE.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     There's nothing an agnostic can't
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     do if he doesn't know whether he