Re: Quake 2 sources GPL'd

This one time, at band camp, Joey Hess wrote:
>That's neat, but I wish we at least had quake 1 in contrib for woody.
>Woody will be the first release of debian in years and years without the
>possbility of quake at all (in main, contrib, or even non-free), I think.

(I'm not yet a d-d, I'm currently halfway through the NM process.)

For several months now, it has been my intention to get quake2 debs back
into non-free, since they dissapeared from the archive.  I have not yet
contacted the previous maintainer (Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org>)
about this, but I've managed to dig up source packages from the depths of
Google.  I've been working with these to take care of the installation of
data files.

In any case, I'd still like to be the one to maintain quake2.  This is *not*
an ITP; the source isn't buildable with gcc yet, and will require a lot of
work before packages can be made available.  To answer the original poster's
question: no, there won't be any quake2 debs for woody's release.

My 2c on the location of the package: I'd put it in contrib.  The binary would
be useless without any data files, which implies a Depends: quake2-data,
which as already discussed is non-free; policy dictates that it should be
contrib.  This doesn't preclude the package moving to main if that
dependency is removed, however.

--
jaq@spacepants.org                           http://spacepants.org/jaq.gpg

Virtual reality is its own reward.