Re: package lists for older machines

On Tue, Dec 18, 2001 at 02:21:43PM -0500, J. Tang wrote:
[snip]
> Thus, there ought to be a database for "Debian lite" -- only those
> packages that would make sense on a slower machine.  For example, this
> list would not have any of the mp3, DVD, kde, or gnome packages.  It
> think this would be an extremely useful addition to the Debian system.
>
> What are your thoughts on the feasibility of this?

I know a few people who would make use of this, were it implemented
- myself included; however, it would necessarily require rather a lot of
work. The processing time saved (say, 2 minutes per day to be generous)
would not seem to outweigh the hours of implementation.

If there are a sufficient number of people who want this, though, and
it is judged worthwhile, I volunteer to help with the effort.

--
#  _  _ . .|  _ _ ._ ._  _ ._  space software lab    #
# |_)(_||_|| (_(_|| || |(_)| | utah state university #