Re: Packaging Question

On Sun, Dec 16, 2001 at 12:43:25AM -0500, Phillip Hofmeister wrote:
> When making a package how do you specify which files are config files (IE: Files that
> should not be removed unless purged)?  Is it done in the rules somehow?

Well, the question you asked, and the additional information you need to
know before you can build a package can be found in the policy document.

For short: You do it by putting the names of the conffiles in

debian/conffiles

See Policy:

/usr/share/doc/debian-policy/policy.txt.gz

Section 11.7 "Configuration fiels" and 6.6 "Details of configuration"

My tip: Start with the Debian Developer's reference in:

/usr/share/doc/developers-reference/developers-reference.txt.gz

Greetings
Bernd