Need some shell scripting help

OK, we all know how easily I get confused, so lets see if I can explain my
problem.

Usually, when I want to work with a list of files I do something like:

ls >aaa
while read item
do
echo "${item}"
done <aaa
rm aaa

The problem with this logic is that it requires a temporary file (aaa), so
I've been trying to figure out the syntax that doesn't need the file. What
I have so far, that sort of works is:

while read item
do
echo "${item}"
done <$(ls)

This works until the last item is echoed, at which point I get:

<item>: No such file or directory

or, if there are lots of files in the directory, I get:

<item>: File name too long

Even if the answer isn't, the question is simple: "How do I make this
work?"

TIA,

Dwarf
--
_-_-_-_-_-   Author of "Dwarf's Guide to Debian GNU/Linux"  _-_-_-_-_-_-