Re: packaging pine

On Mon, Dec 10, 2001 at 12:32:07PM -0500, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> > You mean I could add "Suggests: ie5" to one of my packages and it would be
> > perfectly policy-compliant?
>
> Pretty much.  It would suggest a virtual package that wasn't provided by
> anything.  But why would you do that?

Contrived example.

> If you re-read the thread, you'll find that I was the one proposing that
> these suggestions be removed.  Above, I was pointing out that very little
> (or nothing) would be lost if these suggestions were removed, and it would
> make it clearer that pine is not present when users try to apt-get install
> it.

Actually, I had a different motive than the problem at hand for asking that
question.  My junior-* packages now all Suggest: task-junior which, of course,
now no longer exists.  But I think I won't bother doing anything about it
until after woody releases, unless people feel that is an unspeakably horrible,
sloppy thing to do.  I just don't see the point in making unnecessary uploads
at this point (especially of things which affect task packages, which are
supposed to be frozen right now).

Ben