Re: Best practices for kernel patches?

On Sat, Dec 08, 2001 at 11:50:55AM +1100, Brian May wrote:

>     Matt> I have started work on packaging a kernel patch, and I've
>     Matt> run into an issue that I'm sure that others have dealt with
>     Matt> already.
>
>     Matt> Should kernel-patch packages contain diffs against the
>     Matt> official kernel, or against the patched Debian sources?
>
> Could the differences to the Debian kernel also be distributed as
> kernel patch packages?
>
> That way, it would be easy to specify in your patch that it requires
> the official Debian patch first.
>
> Not sure if it would work, just an idea.

In fact, I suggested that very idea a few lines later in that same message:

> Matt> - Ship a kernel-patch package for the Debian diff, so that it can be
> Matt>   automatically reversed.  This would still require a detection mechanism as
> Matt>   above, but patch packages would only have to ship one version.

I think that I like this idea best so far.  This way, the official kernel
packages (and users who want the patch) can just pull in
kernel-patch-debian.  If desired, the kernel-source packages could depend on
kernel-patch-debian and cause it to be patched in by default when make-kpkg
is used.

--
 - mdz