Re: apache non-free?

Please read again what Ben said:
  "Adding some patches is not a derivative."

This is more general than the apache case where it seems that the apache
people make an exception for us so that we are allowed to patch the apache
sources (although it isn't mentioned in debian/copyright) - IMHO it's not
ridiculous to ask about the legal differences between "derivative" and "a
patched version" - you have the same problem with other packages as well.

But there are cases where this problem doesn't arise because it's more
clearly stated:
e.g.
- the copyright of abiword says "Modified versions of AbiWord may not be
  distributed using the AbiWord name without permission from AbiSource,
  Inc." so if there's no permission (it's not mentioned in
  debian/copyright) it's in this case clear that our patch of the source
  violates the copyright
or more simple
- Copying of this file is authorized only if
  (1) you are D. E. Knuth, or if
  (2) you make absolutely no changes to your copy.
  [it's stated in other places that you are allowed to change this file
   when you rename it]

> Jules

cu
Adrian

--

Get my GPG key: finger bunk@debian.org | gpg --import

Fingerprint: B29C E71E FE19 6755 5C8A  84D4 99FC EA98 4F12 B400