Re: Best practices for kernel patches?

Matt Zimmerman <mdz@debian.org> wrote:
> I have started work on packaging a kernel patch, and I've run into an issue
> that I'm sure that others have dealt with already.

> Should kernel-patch packages contain diffs against the official kernel, or
> against the patched Debian sources?

<Joe-User-Mode>
Debians kernel-sources don't differ that much from vanilla (see
/usr/share/doc/kernel-source-<version>/README.Debian.gz) so usually a
patch against Debian-kernel should work with vanilla and vice versa.
[...]
> None of these are satisfying to me.  What do other folks do?

Afaict:
-IDE-patch: vanilla
-ext3-fs-patch: debian ("Ext3FS patches were downloaded from
 http://www.uow.edu.au/~andrewm/linux/ext3/ and modified to apply
 cleanly in the Debian environment.")
-badram: vanilla.

All three patches work with the debian-kernelsource.

IMVHO: Ship a patch that works with Debian's kernelsource, if it does
not work with vanilla-kernelsource document it in README.Debian or
even better in the package description and add a pointer to a eg. a
webpage with version that works with vanilla-kernel.

       just my 2¢, cu andreas
--
Hey, da ist ein Ballonautomat auf der Toilette!
Unofficial _Debian-packages_ of latest _tin_