Policy on *-dev packages

I noticed that what constitutes a "development environment" isn't very clear
in policy section 11.3

11.3. Shared libraries
- ----------------------

     Packages involving shared libraries should be split up into several
     binary packages.

     For a straightforward library which has a development environment and
     a runtime kit including just shared libraries you need to create two
     packages: `<libraryname><soversion>', where `<soversion>' is the
     version number in the soname of the shared library[1] and

     If you prefer only to support one development version at a time you
     may name the development package `<libraryname>-dev'; otherwise you
     may need to use `dpkg''s Conflicts mechanism...

I think there should be a clarification of what a development environment is,
preferably in a note. My position is that all interface files should be
included in the -dev package, and they should be configured for operating
with language processors in Debian if necessary.

Do you think such a small addition would be useful?

In addition, although it is said that in 11.2 that "All libraries must have a
shared version in the `lib*' package" and in 11.3 that all shared libraries
must have a corresponding -dev package, there is no policy on what a *-dev
package should be in general.

- --
Eray Ozkural (exa) <erayo@cs.bilkent.edu.tr>
Version: GnuPG v1.0.6 (GNU/Linux)