Re: Debian GNU/w32, may ready to be started?

On Sun, 02 Dec 2001, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 02, 2001 at 11:39:34PM +0100, Robert Millan wrote:
> Has anyone considered that there may also be legal problems with calling
> this port 'Debian'?  The Debian name is also a registered trademark,
[...]

> recognize the advantages of a dpkg-based system for cygwin, and think
[...]

> It may be appropriate to call for a GR to see whether Debian wants their
> name to be used on this port.[1]

Well, if a full concensus is needed, I am already opposed to naming such a
beast 'Debian', and I _will_ vote so (and I speak as both SPI and a Debian
registered member, here), so don't bother.

One thing is to recognize that our users need non-free software for a few
things, and thus our infamous 'non-free' distro.  A 'GNU/w32 Debian', on the
other hand... well, we do NOT need that POS non-free XP kernel 'by
Microsoft(TM)' for anything, and therefore I am opposed to naming it
"Debian".

On the other hand, adding a w32/cygwin architecture (or whatever the _dpkg_
guys want to call it) to dpkg is certainly NOT something anyone should
oppose.  Heck, one friend of mine ported the thing to AIX...

> rationalization, and anyone who objects to the use of non-free software
> per se will not be swayed by your argument.

Exactly. They will tell you to stop wasting our time with the creation of
such a bloody nightmarish beast...

> > As a free software advocate, I'd prefer windows users to use our free
> > applications than all the crappy nonfree software that is present for
> > the windows platform.

No problem, there. But please do not name it "Debian". Call it "Dygwin" or
something like that ;-)

> the other?  I don't believe we are; I believe that making it more
> convenient for people to go on paying Microsoft for their operating
> systems will only hurt us all in the long run.

Agreed. We need to shatter their monopoly utterly (so that they will stop
driving the market with their heavy-handed tactics and furthering the way of
the FUD and unethical business)... and that requires people not giving them
money.  "Dygwin" ( ;-P ) is detrimental to that.  I would not begrudge w32
people dpkg for that reason alone, but I think letting them get the Debian
name would be way too much.

  Henrique Holschuh