Re: partial mirroring

On Fri, Nov 30, 2001 at 10:00:29PM +0100, Roland Bauerschmidt wrote:
> I wrote a small Python script to create a partial Debian mirror. In
> contrast to other mirror scripts that I know of, it is capable of
> mirroring a given list of packages from multiple dists. To be able to
> do this, the script parses the Packages files and keeps track which
> information goes with which dist (apt-ftparchive or dpkg-scanpackages
> wouldn't work for multiple dists). After fetching the required packages
> (if they don't exist already), the Packages files for all dists are
> generated from the information gathered previously. I use this in
> combination with a Perl script I wrote some time ago which accepts a
> list of packages and resolves all dependencies with AptPkg::Cache. The
> code could probably be cleaned up and documented, but otherwise it seems
> to work.
>
> It'd be happy about feedback,
>
> Roland

I haven't tried it, but it looks like demish, a program I've written
(http://luon.net/~admar). Rob Bradford wants to package it (bug
#114739), but he didn't have time to upload it yet. I've already seen
one difference though: your program seems to download the pkgs with
rsync, while demish - indirectly - uses apt.

At the moment, I am pretty busy, but if I find some time in a few weeks,
I'll try your program.

Cheers,
Admar Schoonen

PS: apt-move is also a program which - more or less - does what our
programs do; I couldn't get it to do what I needed though, but it does
have a pretty good tool to download pkgs (/usr/lib/apt-move/fetch).