Re: Request for NMU

On Thu, 29 Nov 2001, Colin Walters wrote:

> Adrian (and H.S.), did you see the thread entitled "automake fun"?
> At least personally I very much dislike the Build-Conflicts solution
> to this problem, for reasons outlined in that thread.
> These are both short term solutions; the long term is to convince
> upstream to not use AM_MAINTAINER_MODE (Matt Zimmerman).

I didn't read the whole thread. There were many suggestions, but when
talking about short term solutions you have to admit that the
Build-Conflicts solution to this problem is:

1. working
2. easy
3. perfectly legal (since automake is neither essential nor
                    build-essential)

It's truely not the most elegant solution but it's working.

BTW (and without reading the whole thread about automake):
If dpkg was able to preserve the timestamps of changed files no other
action like convincing upstream or changes to debian/rules were needed in
most cases...

cu
Adrian

--

Get my GPG key: finger bunk@debian.org | gpg --import

Fingerprint: B29C E71E FE19 6755 5C8A  84D4 99FC EA98 4F12 B400