obsolete packages (from stable)

Hello,

I was trying aptitude for the first time, and noticed I had a lot of
Obsolete packages (as distinct from locally installed).

I was wondering about this, so started investigating in more detail.

It seems that there are two main categories:

1. Packages that have been renamed or split, but no automatic upgrade
in place, and I wasn't previously aware of the change. This includes:

lvm --> lvm10         (hmmm... perhaps thats why I couldn't get it to work...)
libsasl-modules --> libsasl-*
xacc --> gnucash

2. Packages which are obsolete. This includes:

task-* (not very important as these contain no code)

old libraries (on my system some packages still depend on these, probably
               because my system is about 1 to 2 weeks old though)
dpkg-perl
docbook-stylesheets-doc
docbook2x-doc
gnome-users-guide-en
openldap-guide
ae
xemacs21-gtk*
gnomehack
typist
moonlight
xv
argus-client
nfs-server
xpdf-i
pgp-i
a2gs
cygnus-stylesheets
docbk-xml2x
docbook2man
docbook2texi
mswordview
ppd-gs
dpsclient
xf86setup
xfntpex
xproxy

there are also others which I have already removed on this computer.

Some of these in the above list really surprise me: eg. nfs-server and
argus-client.  I tried looking up
http://packages.debian.org/nfs-server, and could only find it in
stable. Perhaps it has just changed its name? I will need to check on
this.

Other items probably indicate software that is no longer supported by
Debian, which probably should be removed from my computers on account
that bugs and/or security holes in these packages will not get fixed.

Anyway, should I file bugs on any of the above packages for lack of an
automatic upgrade? Or is the administrator expected to identify these
packages and act accordingly?
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>