Re: Look at the copyright before changing upstream sources

Herbert Xu <herbert@gondor.apana.org.au> writes:

> > 1. Non-free packages
> > Non-free packages have many different licenses. Many of them don't allow
> > you to change the upstream sources.
>
> The ftp masters should've done that when the package was first
> uploaded.  If no modifications are allowed, then the package
> shouldn't be allowed in.

Err, not for non-free.  For non-free we only require
redistributability, not the ability to modify.  If someone wants to
get consensus (and/or policy changed) to require modifiyability for
non-free packages, we'll gladly change our license checking procedures
to match that.  (However this would probably additionally require
removing quite a few packages from non-free...)

--
James