Re: Whose bug is this?

On Thu, Nov 15, 2001 at 01:41:34PM +0100, Roland Mas wrote:
>   So?  Whose fault is this?  Probably not mine, because I can't find
> any reason I shouldn't have LDAP users.  Is it bash's fault (/bin/sh
> is a symlink to bash here), for keeping its libraries open?  Is it
> sysvinit's fault, for using bash instead of ash?  Is it libldap2's
> fault, for putting libs in /usr/lib instead of /lib?

I had this problem once (I forget exactly what) but I solved it differently.
I edited the umountfs script so that it first went through and remounted all
the partitions read-only. Since the library is open but not writable this
succeeds.

The umount still fails but since the drive isn't read-write on the reboot,
no fsck on next boot.

I've done this on many boxes since it also handles the case where your NFS
server has died and you have it hard mounted. Eventually you can just turn the
machine off and since the drives are all read-only, no fsck on boot. I did
put a sync in there for good measure also :).

I'm not sure if this is a good general solution but it certainly works.
--
Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@svana.org>
http://svana.org/kleptog/